Please read the attached document which details the bowling events involving our Club during the week beginning Monday 31 July.
Firstly, huge congratulations to Faye Stevens, Chris Bentley and Stuart Campbell who did themselves and the Club proud this week at Ayr in the National Championships. Unfortunately, Faye and Chris lost in their respective first-round matches (Chris to Emma Mitchell from Gilmerton who finished the week as Scottish Champion) but both performed very well and did brilliantly in getting there. Stuart won his first-round match in a thrilling encounter with his opponent from Sanquhar B.C. and then very unluckily lost in the second round 21-20. Well done, guys. You are a credit to yourselves and the Club.
This year’s Ladies’ Championship Final between Theresa Blair and Jean Meiklejohn will be held on Saturday 5 August at 2.00pm. Please try to get along to the Club to support both ladies in this very important match. All the best, ladies.
Please note that all EBA League matches start at 6.30pm for the next two weeks.
On Thursday afternoon, our North & West Senior Triples (David McGuire, Ronnie Clark and Brian Howe) take on Tanfield B.C. at Tanfield in the semi-final of their Knockout competition at 2.00pm. Good luck, guys.
On Thursday evening, our Ladies’ representatives have games in the EBA Knockouts competitions. The Singles (Chris Bentley) will take on Currie B.C. at Mayfield; the Triples (Vicky Page, Val Mather and Theresa Blair) have a match against Dean B.C. at Goldenacre and the Fours (Sara Murray, Ronnie McLaren, Evelyn Lowe and Pat Clark) will play Goldenacre B.C. at Carrickknowe. All of these ties start at 6.45pm. All the best, girls. In addition, we are hosting 4 ties in the Ladies’ EBA Knockouts on Thursday evening.
Our remaining Gents’ representative (Stuart Campbell) has a match in the EBA Knockout Singles against Goldenacre B.C. at Craigentinny on Thursday evening too at 6.45pm. Stick in, Stuart.
Then, on Friday afternoon, our representatives in the Senior Gents’ EBA Knockouts begin their campaigns. Our Singles (Jim Connor) will take on Postal B.C. at Pilrig; the Pairs (Bernie Callaghan and David Sutherland) have a match against Portobello B.C. at London Road Foundry and the Fours (Kenny Orr, George Richardson, Donald MacKay and Scott Jackson) are in action against Northern B.C. at Seafield. All of these games start at 2.00pm. All the best, guys.
On Sunday 6 August, our annual Invitation Pairs will be held. Please check the ‘Mixed’ Noticeboard for your start time if you are involved in this very enjoyable competition.
Finally, a wee heads-up for some upcoming events :
1. Our Senior Gents have their annual Hyland Rigg Trophy competition on Friday 11 August at 2.00pm. There is still time to add your name to the list on the Senior Gents’ Noticeboard if you wish to play in this very enjoyable afternoon.
2. Our Ladies have their annual Clark Fours competition on the green on Sunday 13 August starting at 1.30pm. There is a list on the Ladies’ Noticeboard if you wish to participate in this event.
3. The Gents will have their annual Friendly at home to Blackhall B.C. on Wednesday 16 August at 6.15pm. There is a list on the Gents’ Noticeboard for those wishing to play in this match. We are looking for 20 players and currently have only 11 names on the list.
4. The annual Cathy Connet Trophy competition will be held on the green on Saturday 19 August starting at 2.00pm. There is a list on the ‘Mixed’ Noticeboard for those members who wish to take part in this very enjoyable afternoon.
5. The annual Sanderson Invitation Triples is scheduled to take place on Saturday 26 August (start time to be announced). Please add your name and the names of your guest(s) to the list on the Mixed Noticeboard if you would like to be involved in this competition.
6. The eagerly-awaited Ladies versus Gents match is scheduled for Sunday 27 August at 2.00pm. There will be lists on both the Ladies’ and Gents’ Noticeboards for those members wishing to play.
7. The annual Ladies’ Page Two-Bowl Pairs will be held on Monday 28 August starting at 1.30pm. There is a list on the Ladies’ Noticeboard for those ladies who would like to participate in this competition.
The Management Committee